Friday, February 23, 2007

ROLEX DATEJUST


This story begins not with the purchase of my 1984 Rolex Datejust model 16013, but rather with the purchase of my wife’s 69173 Datejust as a wedding gift (we were married just a few months ago on 1/28/06). She absolutely loves the watch, and I love to see her wearing it. She still has a lovely mother of pearl Wittnauer watch which she also loves…but now only sees about once a week wear, if that. Go Rolex!
Now, my wonderful bride has some definite opinions about my watches…from my Yacht-Master, which she really likes, to my Daytona which she thinks is “too busy.” But since getting her Datejust, she’s been wanting me to find a matching men’s model. My recent birthday in April proved to be an excellent excuse…errrr…opportunity to please my wife and add another watch to my collection. Husbands out there…are you taking notes here? J
Admittedly, I have far more experience with contemporary Rolex models than I do vintage. Ironically however, my very first Rolex was a 1970 Oyster Precision. While I no longer have the watch, I did gain an appreciation for how timeless the Rolex design is, and how well constructed their watches are…that vintage OP performed flawlessly. So when I spotted a smokin’ hot deal on a 1984 16013 from a trusted dealer in Singapore, I immediately contacted him and a wire transfer of funds shortly followed (this same fellow sold me my previously mentioned Oyster Precision). It took a bit over a week to arrive from Singapore, but it was well worth the wait. Here’s a photo of the watch sitting in the old style Datejust box

No comments: